Mon, 06 Feb|
Indigenous and Coastal Communities' Leadership: Embedding Centuries of Traditional Knowledge Into Practice to Accelerate
Time & Location
06 Feb 2023, 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm GMT-8
Vancouver, 1055 Canada Pl, Vancouver, BC V6C 0C3, Kanada
About the event
As the world is turning its attention to the urgent need of increasing ambition and catalyzing action to conserve nature (“30% by 2030” target), concerns have been raised about the limited equity and justice in establishment of protected areas and impacts on people. Upholding the rights of indigenous and coastal communities and supporting their leadership to conserve and manage coastal ecosystems is the only way to build a global movement that will accelerate, scale up and embed equitable protection efforts into long term sustainable livelihood strategies.
In this session, we will be hearing first-hand from indigenous and coastal community rights holders from Madagascar, Arctic, New Zealand, Chile and Hawaii about their leadership, vision and beliefs as well as some of the challenges and successes of locally-led action to conserve and restore their coastal territories. The session will alternate engaging presentations from our speakers with interactive discussion on how locally-led practices and initiatives can become more central in the ocean governance space.
● Cristian Chiguay, Wafo Wapi Community Chief, Chile
● Alex Mansilla, Fisherman from the Piedra Blanca Community, Chile
● Kevin Chang, Executive Director, Kua'āina Ulu 'Auamo (KUA), Hawaii
● Jimmy Ullikatalik, Project lead, Aviqtuuq Inuit Protected and Conserved Area, Canada
● Vatosoa Rakotondrazafy, President, MIHARI Network, Madagascar
● Mereana Berger, Coordinator Ngā uri ō Ngāti Pāoa ki Waiheke, New Zealand
● Jeanine Clarkin, Ngāti Pāoa, New Zealand
Moderator: Maria Honig, WWF Global Coastal Communities Initiative Lead
● Location: Room #206 at Vancouver Convention Centre (VCC).
● Date and Time: February 6th, from 14:00 to 15:30 (PST).
● Free snacks and drinks will be provided.
Please register to confirm your attendance so that we can confirm numbers through the following link.